Wednesday, January 13, 2010

For the lost sheep, a good song

Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by Thy help I've come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, wand'ring from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger, interposed His precious blood.

Oh to grace how great a debtor, daily I'm constrained to be;
Let that grace now like a fetter bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it; Prone to leave the God I love.
Here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above.

Oh, that day when freed from sinning, I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in the bloodwashed linen, how I'll sing Thy wondrous grace!
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry; take my ransom'd soul away;
Send Thine angels soon to carry me to realms of endless day.

-"Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing", verses two through four, #686, Lutheran Service Book

As far as I know, this is not a Lutheran hymn, but it's one of my favorites. Whether it's played by a handbell choir or belted out by a congregation, it's simply sublime.

No comments:

Post a Comment