Monday, April 11, 2011

Nothing against April, but...

Yesterday, the temperature was pushing 90 degrees and tonight the low is projected to be around 40. I know, I know, Minnesota readers. I have NO reason to complain. On the other hand, May beats March every day of the week and twice on Sundays. In other news, the trees are in bloom, Easter is less than two weeks away (finally) and I've managed to keep my Lent fast, which is really a NoCaffinatedSodaFast. This might not seem like a big deal to some, but to one who gets the vast majority of caffeine from sodapop, IT IS. No, family - I have not, nor do I in the near future intend to drink coffee, mocha, or any other beverage which would lead me to join The Dark Side. Chai tea lattes do not count. Last weekend, I met Boyfriend's parents. They were extremely nice and very easy to get along with. We had a late breakfast together on Saturday, then went furniture shopping. BF needed to replace his college-era futon and add another bookcase to his collection. After the necessary assembly was done, we did some sight-seeing and then ended the afternoon with an excellent dinner. This was followed by more visiting. This is sounding like one of MY family get-togethers, doncha think? With God's grace, we'll see them again sometime this summer. Also by the grace of God, I was told recently that yet another heart-melting, completely adorable munchkin would be joining the family by...well, Christmas is a safe bet at this point. No further comments are necessary other than "YAY!!!!! Can't wait to meet you!! Love you already." :) To tie up this post, April really isn't that bad. Just don't mention taxes, the American Civil War (or Abraham Lincoln or John Wilkes Booth), the R.M.S. Titanic, or Austrians with a megalomaniac complex. But seriously, my Second Nephew (sometimes called Buster) will turn one year old on April 30. He makes it all worth it. Love you, S! (And your older brother P. Love to your younger sibling was given in the previous paragraph.) Here's a selection from Ramona Forever, by Beverly Clearly - just for you: Ramona decided to go along because she wanted to talk privately with her mother. As they walked beneath the budding trees, she began by saying, "When Algie comes, I won't be your baby anymore." "That's right," agreed her mother. "You will be my middle child, with a special place right in the middle of my heart..." -BR

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled that you got to meet "the parents" and with nary a reference to the recent movies that made light (with unspeakable movie titles) of that momentous occasion.

    So glad to see you referring to one of my favorite philosophers - Ramona (and her mom). Well, perhaps I should say Beverly Clearly, but really, it's Ramona who speaks to me. This reminded me instantly of the angst that I felt when I was pregnant with Emily, studying through the baby-to-be books for that one answer I couldn't find: How would I possibly love my second born as much as my first? Days before delivery I stumbled upon a tiny Guidepost-type article which easily explained that the heart is capable of expansion - what a concept. And yes, that spot in the middle of the heart is especially tender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April...."other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

    ReplyDelete