Monday, January 14, 2013

Music Monday - A Family Tradition


Happy New Year, all!

CJ and I spent most of the week of Christmas in...very, very rainy California. My father-in-law kept saying "It's not usually like this!" and "If it keeps raining like this, you won't want to come back in December."

Meanwhile, we read innumerable books. CJ poked around on their laptop and I made friends with the cat while sitting in front of the gas fireplace. So, exactly like a Midwestern Christmas. Without the snow. Plenty of fog, though. That's the Bay area for you!

The cat was an inadvertent friend, I'll admit. I petted him once when he approached, and he kept coming back. Apparently he doesn't get much attention, so the first person to do so...I'm a sucker.

CJ's sister from New York (Twin #2) was in town, so we got to catch up with her a good deal. She's job-hunting, like so many are these days. Unlike some, she has a job offer. Whether or not she'll take it is the family gossip. Included in the gossip is her twin sister, who has a job and lives in California. The gossip on Twin #1 is when she'll get engaged. She and her boyfriend have been an item for about four years now. The sisters' 30th birthday is coming up in a month, so we'll see.

The day after Christmas (Boxing Day, to you Anglophiles), CJ's youngest sister and I went to a nail salon and got pedicures. It was my first time, and I enjoyed it. The color of my toes is now a dark wine color. I really picked the color because it matched my shirt that day. When I need to take the polish off, I'll call my sister. She's the expert on such things. :)

The trip to the salon is a tradition in CJ's family. His grandmother (Nana, for those that know) likes to give her granddaughters gift cards each year. She very sweetly included me.

What were some of the other traditions? Christmas Eve night at Nana and Bob's, then late church. Christmas morning at the house with just Mom and Dad L, the sisters, CJ and me to open presents. Then off to Grandma B (mom's mom)'s for brunch and opening more presents (but mostly watching the youngest cousins go crazy over theirs). Then home for a short break, then over to CJ's aunt (his dad's sister) and uncle's house for Christmas dinner. Oh. My. Goodnessgraciousdinnerwasdivine. Randy is an EXCELLENT cook. And because this is California, all these comings and goings involved a good amount of wine. And mimosa for breakfast, and etc.,etc., etc.

My favorite family tradition, though came on the way home from Christmas Eve service. CJ made a joke that he stayed in the Midwest partially out of embarrassment. My FIL agreed, and told me that he (CJ) used to hunch down in the car when they were leaving church. One of the girls had an old CD that a friend had made years ago. The sisters belted, and I mean BELTED out the song three or four times on the way home. Sissy, they reminded me of the two of us. I would have sung louder, only I don't know the words to the song, only to the chorus.

Whatever you strive for this year, give it your all. Belt it out! Sing it, or dance it, or paint it, or write it!

-BR

No comments:

Post a Comment