Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Perspective



Sometimes it isn't just about having a bad week. It's just....blah. Last Thursday, the sky opened up and we had more rain in one day than Noah's forty days. CJ continued in his war of attrition with his class. I continued in my war with procrastination, and lost, and won, and lost.

I've had a sense recently that I'm not doing what I should be doing. The difference between this feeling now and three years ago (the last time it came) is that 1) I'm happily married; 2) I'm working with a group of people I genuinely like; and 3) I've finished the first draft of my book and am currently rewriting and editing. So to make a long story short (too late), on paper I am much further away from being in frustrating situations, and hopefully that much closer to the time in which I will be doing what I should be doing.

But I'm not there yet. And that little word "yet" makes me impatient. It is in human nature to want good things to happen NOW.

But sometimes the impatience is negated by cold reality.

Yesterday, I met T. She's a new coworker, and will be working in my department. She has two young daughters. One is four and the other is two years old.

T was so matter of fact, telling me and my other coworkers about her kids, that there was no question of dramatics, or exaggeration.

Her younger daughter was born six weeks early, only hours after her older daughter was diagnosed.

T and her family are waiting for 2017. That year, God willing, her daughter will be declared cancer free.

A blah week, a rainy day, frustration over a status in limbo does not matter.

Many people have had much worse days.

No comments:

Post a Comment